Director of Global Engagement
BASED AT (OFFICE LOCATION)
WORK WITH US
The Peregrine Fund changes the future for nature and humanity by conserving birds of prey worldwide. Whether the threat is poisoning, habitat loss, human persecution, or any other cause, we use sound science to tackle the most pressing conservation issues head-on. We accomplish high impact results by preventing raptor extinctions, protecting areas of high raptor conservation value, and addressing landscape-level threats impacting multiple species. As a catalyst for change, we inspire people to value raptors and take action, and we invest in tomorrow's conservation leaders. By working with communities around the world to protect the wildlife and habitats on which they depend, we are able to create lasting conservation results while improving people’s ways of life.
The Peregrine Fund is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The successful applicant will be required to complete a background screening before a final offer of employment is made.
The Engagement Coordinator will work closely with the Director of Global Engagement, Director of Global Conservation Science, Director of the American Kestrel Partnership, Communications Team, Scientists, and Information Technology Team to support The Peregrine Fund's marketing and global engagement programs. The Engagement Coordinator will also recruit and liaise with partners in The Peregrine Fund’s efforts to monitor raptors. The Peregrine Fund recognizes the value of inspiring people around the globe to value raptors and take action. This position will directly impact our ability to share our message with our supporters while inspiring others to join the raptor tribe. It will also enable the Global Engagement program to continue to grow to achieve our strategic plan, “Vision 2050.”
The Peregrine Fund’s Communications and Engagement teams play a critical role in interpreting projects and conservation successes to donors, members, partners, and the general public. We work to instill an appreciation for birds of prey in every person who comes into contact with our organization, as well as provide support to our field programs and biologists. The Engagement Coordinator must be a motivated, self-starter that is dedicated to achieving measureable results. The successful applicant is a team-oriented person who has an interest in conservation, fundraising, public education, communication, and strong writing skills. The Engagement Coordinator will play a critical role in the success of the American Kestrel Partnership (AKP) and Global Raptor Impact Network (GRIN) in recruitment and communication with their specific and unique audiences.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND SCOPE
- Assist in the successful accomplishment of The Peregrine Fund’s Strategic Plan Engagement goals and objectives
- Assist in writing press releases, identifying news-worthy activities, pitching stories to media contacts, and serving as a designated spokesperson for the organization
- Manage and grow The Peregrine Fund’s social media presence, including all specialty pages such as the AKP page
- Develop content for and maintain existing content on The Peregrine Fund’s website, ensure that regular updates are being made by those assigned that role
- Manage The Peregrine Fund’s photograph and video assets
- Assist in developing marketing materials for various programs and fundraising campaigns
- Aide in the solicitation of stories for and writing of the Notes from the Field, AKP, and GRIN e-newsletters
- Create engaging videos to tell The Peregrine Fund’s stories as well as instructional videos for the GRIN program
- Lead The Peregrine Fund’s Idaho Gives campaign annually
- Manage the AKP Adopt-a-Box program including marketing, communications with Boise State University and to adopters, and coordinating the distribution of adoption packages
- Assist with fundraising and other special events as needed
- Respond to AKP questions on social media, discussion board, and email and phone calls
- Respond to GRIN and GRIN App questions as needed, coordinate with science staff and consultants as needed
- Give public presentations about The Peregrine Fund’s work on and off site
- Learn to handle and train education birds and maintain positive relationships with birds for use in programs and fundraising on and off site
- Assist with the creation of promotional materials such as fliers and rack cards
- Assist with programs at our interpretive center on occasion
- Respond to email and phone questions from the general public on a variety of raptor related issues
- Participate in Communications Team meetings and activities
- Travel as needed to promote The Peregrine Fund’s programs, fundraise, and participate in events
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree
- An outgoing, positive, and team-oriented attitude
- An interest in conservation, fundraising, public education, communication, and writing
- Outstanding communication skills, both oral and written
- Excellent technical and non-technical writing skills
- Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license
- Experience communicating with the general public, in writing and through public speaking
- Background in biology, wildlife management, or citizen science.
- Experience managing a social media presence for a non-profit organization
- Experience developing programming, managing projects, and coordinating multiple projects simultaneously
- Experience handling birds of prey for public programs
- Knowledge of environmental issues, ecology, and birds of prey and their natural histories
- Ability to speak Spanish a plus
- Work long and flexible hours, including weekends, as needed
- Close contact with birds of prey
- Potential travel on short notice
- Work environment involves occasional exposure to disagreeable elements and minor physical exertion and/or strain
Please send via email a single file attachment (PDF preferred) with the information below to HIRING MANAGER at email@example.com Name the file, “LastName_FirstName_EngagementCoordinator.”
This posting will close at 5:00 p.m. on February 14, 2020.
A cover letter
Contact information for three references
Writing sample - Please write a News Release about the scientific article, "Commentary: Research Recommendations for Understanding the Decline of American Kestrels (Falco sparverius) Across Much of North America."