Return to Employment page
31 October 2019
Curator of Birds
BASED AT (OFFICE LOCATION)
WORK WITH US
We were founded in 1970 to rescue the Peregrine Falcon from extinction by pioneering ways to breed and release them across North America. With that historic success, our mission grew to encompass all raptor species worldwide. Today we
- Restore critically endangered species
- Research little-known species
- Train and support students
- Engage all ages with environmental education
- Conserve habitat
Our employee benefits program plays a vital role in demonstrating our commitment to our employees. We are pleased to offer eligible employees a benefits program that is comprehensive and among the best among our peer institutions, including a 403(b) retirement program as well as health, dental, vision, life and long-term disability insurance.
The Peregrine Fund is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The successful applicant will be required to complete a background screening before a final offer of employment.
The Raptor Specialist will participate in every aspect of care, husbandry, and training of education program raptors. Additionally, the Raptor Specialist will take an active role educating and inspiring the public about birds of prey.
The heart of The Peregrine Fund’s education program is our interpretive center in Boise, Idaho, where visitors have the opportunity to meet live raptors from around the world. The interpretive center provides a unique experience that engages the public about the importance of conservation. The Raptor Specialist must be a motivated, self-starter that is dedicated to achieving measureable conservation results. She/he is a team-oriented person who has a proven track record of leadership and a depth of experience with live raptors.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND SCOPE
Animal Husbandry (65%)
- Actively participate in the training and enrichment of all program raptors
- Assist in daily care of all resident birds (feeding, cleaning, health checks, etc.)
- Utilize safe capture and restraint techniques for small and large raptors
- Perform routine maintenance of beaks and talons
- Assist with the assessment and resolution of avian health issues
- Maintain all equipment (anklets, jesses, etc) and replace as needed
- Assist in the maintenance and design of all bird chambers and exhibits
- Inventory and order raptor food as needed
- Maintain paperwork for all education birds
Education and Engagement (25%)
- Conduct daily educational programs as needed
- Participate in the safe transport of raptors to on- and off-site programming
- Take active role in free-flight bird presentations / Fall Flights
- Train and develop staff and volunteers in bird handling
- Assist with the general operating of the interpretive center at the World Center for Birds of Prey
- Work in a team context to develop short and long term goals for our education program as it fits within the mission of The Peregrine Fund
- Collaborate with Peregrine Fund staff to support variety of programs as needed
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in the biological sciences, wildlife, or related field; or equivalent experience
- Demonstrated knowledge of raptor care including nutrition, health, and proper husbandry
- Working knowledge of the science of bird behavior, operant learning, positive reinforcement, and enrichment
- Experience with environmental education
- Working knowledge of AZA and IAATE standards for animal management and care
- Effective communication skills
- Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license
- Experience free-flying raptors for educational programs or falconry
- Demonstrated working knowledge of regulatory requirements and permitting as related to the care and keeping of animals in captivity
- Experience designing and leading raptor handling classes / workshops
- Working knowledge of raptor rehabilitation
- Experience raising captive-bred raptors
Frequent close contact with large raptors. Exposure to dust and allergens is common. Required to move heavy objects as needed. Successful applicant will be willing to work weekends.
To apply send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.